Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chimini-changas!

Whenever I eat chimichanga, I think of Napoleon Dynamite. Ya'know, that part in the movie when Summer is giving her election speech and she says "Who wants to eat ChimiNEEchanga's every week?" I always think, Is that how I am supposed to say that? Who says that? Anyway, if you haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite yet, stop reading this blog immediately and rent it. It's a gem. Anyway, if you haven't already guessed, tonight's freezer meal is Chimichangas. This was super easy to make on baking day. 

Here is what it looks like de-thawed and on a tortilla-  
 After baking in the oven about 15 mins. Nice and Crisp~
 And my dinner plate. Served with spanish rice and chips and salsa. I like my 'changa with extra cheese, salad and ranch on top.
I don't have a pic of the after dishes because hubby got to them before I could snap a picture {thanks honey!}. But trust me, they were minimal. Like 6 or something crazy like that
Verdict? Fan-freaking-tasitic! So yummy! They were super quick too. Total time -including baking- 25 mins. That includes the wrapping, baking, shredding cheese and making the rice. Tim loved them. They were kind of on the spicy side, so B didn't really like them. I didn't even feed it to D, because it was on the spicy side. Would I make these again? Heck Yes! Next time I may try to tone the spice down a little bit though so B will eat it. Now, go grab your own tots and take down this freaking recipe, Gosh!


Freezer Chimichangas
1 t salt
2 lbs ground beef
2 cloves garlic
2 t cumin
2 t oregano
1/2 C chopped green chillies {I used jalapeno's instead, I like the spice}
1/2 C taco seasoning
1/2 C sour cream
1/4 C cider vinegar.

Serving day:
butter, cheese, flour tortillas

Sprinkle salt in pan. Add meat, garlic, and spices. Cook until meat loses pink-ness. Stir in remaining ingredients. Remove from heat and cool. Freeze the meat in a freezer bag. Please note that I made this recipe and divided it in half. One half made 5 chimichangas.

Serving day
Thaw meat completely. Heat tortillas in microwave under a damp paper towel for about 20 seconds until soft and pliable. Spoon meat down the cent then wrap envelope style and place seam side down in pan.  Drizzle about 1T melted butter on top. Bake 15 mins in a 460* oven. Sprinkle cheese and bake a few mins longer until cheese is melted.

Serve with spanish rice. I cheat and use the Uncle Ben's 90second microwave kind. Cheap, fast, and easy. Just my style. Oh and it tastes good too!

I am going to be MIA for a few dinners, Little man is getting his tonsils and adenoids out tomorrow. So while we will be eating from the freezer-mostly popsicles and ice cream- it wont be anything worth blogging about.  Tootles!

2 comments:

  1. I love the whole freezer meal idea. I will have to try this one. I also love Napoleon Dynamite. "Shocks? Pegs? Lucky!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my ND story. I had just found out I was pregnant with Adam, I was about 22 weeks or so and Mike and I were cuddled up together in bed watching ND (my first time seeing it). I wasn't really enjoying the movie, I think because I was tired...anyways, maybe halfway through the movie Adam kicked, hard. Mike felt it, I felt it - it was the first time that it really hit us we were pregnant. We turned off the movie and I've never tried watching ND again, I didn't want to ruin that memory with a new one. So I will likely never watch it in it's entirety. PS Thinking of you and B! He'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete