Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chicken Yawn

I mean Chicken Cacciatore. I have never made or ate this dish before. So I was excited to try it. Plus it was a straight from freezer to crock pot kinda thing, so that's nice too. This is the image I get when I google Chicken Cacciatore. Mine did not look like that. {RECIPE}
 Like I said, I have never made this before, so I pretty much stuck to the recipe. Mine called for a can of Tomato sauce, can of diced tomatoes, one onion thinly sliced, some white wine, S & P to taste and 2 whole chicken breasts. Simply mix it all and throw it in a freezer bag.
 Ta-daa! This is what it came out like. According to the book, just stick it straight into the pot. One problem- It didn't fit. So I tried to mash it in there the best I could, but I was late to meet a friend and D was screaming, so I just put the lid on it and hoped as it melted down the lid would just "fall" on. And it did.  Just cook on low 5-6 hours.
It smelled divine. All day long I was hungry.  I decided to shred the chicken because it was falling apart from cooking anyway. So here is what it looked like in the pot. 
 To serve- cook some noodles {I did egg noodles} and serve on top of the noodles. Here is the finished product. We also had freezer corn that I made. And just regular bread, because most every time I try to make home made bread, I epic fail.
And here is the clean up. Not bad at all. This includes the plates we ate on too. I did like the easy clean up of this meal.
 The verdict?
I give it a 3. To me the chicken was tasteless. Which is strange because It smelled so good.  Mine was really runny, not thick like the first picture. I don't know if that is because of the recipe or because of the freezer to crock pot thing. Anyway, I personally didn't care for it. B wouldn't even try it, he just ate the pasta.  D put one bite of chicken in her mouth and threw the rest on the floor. Tim, surprisingly, liked it. I thought he would hate it. He said he would eat it again. Hmm. Well that's good because I have another bag frozen! Next time I might try to add a few things to jazz it up a little. And even though I halved the original recipe, I had tons of shredded chicken left, so I froze that to be used at a later day. Probably for chicken nachos or enchiladas.

D ate the most dinner, so she gets a cookie.
So, have any of you ever made this dish before? Was it good? Is it worth trying again? I think I would give it another try, but I would definitely alter the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Per the previous comment, send me the recipe, I'll be happy to give you my suggestions. I should have warned you and/or asked though - garlic is my favorite "jazz it up" friend!

    Question about the recipes in this book. Would many of them work for low-carb, no grain? We are trying to eliminate most grains from our diet and I really want to do freezer meals more too. If its just served over noodles or rice, I can ignore that part, but what about the recipes otherwise? Love your new blog girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a great recipe for this, but it's not a freezer meal. I suggest green peppers....did the wine get cooked at all pre-freezing? Wine only adds flavor when it gets boiled/simmered....not sure if it being frozen if that destroyed the flavor. We like it over rice....

    ReplyDelete