Thursday, August 25, 2011

Buttermilk Fixins'

Hello again! I have to apologize for the pictures in this post. My fancy camera's battery was dead... I discovered this right as I was ready to photograph. Bummer! So you get pics from my point and shoot instead.  Tonight we had buttermilk chicken, buttermilk biscuits, asparagus and watermelon. I had recently purchased one of those Groupon like things, $20/$40 worth of food at our locally run market. I love shopping a small stores that sell local organic produce, so I was all over that. 
That is where I picked up my watermelon and asparagus. Here is the watermelon. Looks normal, right? What? This is what I found when I cut it open. Hmm I have never seen a watermelon that was bright yellow inside. But it tasted like a regular watermelon. I, by the way, like sea salt on my melon. Tim thinks I'm crazy. What do you think? Am I the only one who likes this sort of foolishness?  ANYWAY-
Here is the chicken. Another super easy thaw and bake dish. It is marinated in a mustard and rosemary sauce. It smelled pretty good. According to the cook book, it's supposed to be grilled, but- the Dr. wasn't home and I really don't know how to "man" the grill {ok I can't even turn it on, I'm afraid I'll get blown up. Not kidding, gas and open flame= not for Stephanie} So I just put it in a baking dish instead.


 And asparagus. Yum. I love it sauteed in butter with garlic pepper. McCormick grinders are my friends. Love them. How else do you cook this veggie? I steamed it once, not good. Let me know, I am open to ideas. Until then- sauteed in glorious fatty butter.

 Here they are out of the oven. I loved how the spices stayed on the chicken during cooking. Usually they just slip off. This smelled very good too.
Sorry, no full dish picture tonight. The photo I had was just beyond help.   :(

The verdict?
YuMm-OOO
I give it an 8/10. And only and 8 instead of 9 or 10 because it dried out a tad in the oven, but I bet it would be amazing grilled. The chicken had a very good flavor. You could really taste the mustard. I think the fact the it marinates while freezing and them marinates while de-thawing may be the reason. Either way, it was super good and easy to make. Tim liked it, D liked it, B still doesn't want to eat, poor kid.

Get the recipe-

Buttermilk Chicken

1 comment:

  1. Gonna have to try this one too eventually... We usually do asparagus by steaming it and then I like it with just a bit of ranch. Gonna have to try your way - my kids actually like asparagus too, so we eat it alot. :)

    ReplyDelete