Saturday, August 13, 2011

And so it Begins...

Well after reading various blogs about how mothers are feeding their families on the cheap through freezer meals, I decided to give it a go. Tim and I are trying really hard to stick to a food budget, now that he earns a real pay check and we have to pay real bills {Boo to grown up life!} And...it's been hard. We haven't been able to do it the first month and a half, even with my feeble attempt at couponing. So here we are. Freezer meals. My first time trying this ever. Hopefully this blog will help others who may be interested in this. So lets get started-

I bought this book-
It's very helpful on how to get started, how to shop and how to organize your cooking day. Although as you can see from my train wrecked kitchen, I kind of skimmed over that part... Anyway, I used these recipes as a general guide. As I do will all my cooking. I end up doing my own thing anyway, so we'll see how they turn out. My family are tough critics. Brock hardly eats at all and Tim is Mr Picky.

Messy, messy kitchen.
Anyway, in my first attempt, I got 18 meals- really 9 meals cut in half. My family isn't to keen on leftovers- 4 bags of freezer corn in 3.5 hours and the cost was roughly $130. I am hoping this can get me through 2 and a half weeks. We'll see. I'll be sharing the meals with you as I un-freeze and re heat and give you the taste test. Since I alter the recipes quite a bit, I will share the good ones with you. I am really looking forward not having a sink full of dishes after every meal, because honestly, I still have a sink full of dishes after this cooking day, and that's after washing a full load. :/




6 comments:

  1. I want to hear more for sure. This is something I've always wanted to try and just haven't done. So blog away...blog away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to see how this all turns out. I just got a new freezer and I'd love to fill it with dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha love your blog title! My family is the same as yours. Rebekah hardly ever eats and is the biggest picky eater I have ever met. Plus hubby and I are both pretty picky. Isaiah eats anything and everything and I am sure will eat us out of house and home when he is a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I like the new blog and can't wait to see how it all turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE freezer meals!! The best piece of advice I can give you are the disposable pans for the casseroles. I made a bunch of these while pregnant and stuck them in the freezer, we thawed them in the fridge, cooked them, ate them for a day or two then gave them to the dogs and recycled the pan. (Or, if it was salvageable after the dogs, I washed it and used it next time--they rarely were though LOL!)

    Lasagna is awesome made this way, so is "spaghetti bake" (though I use penne pasta not spaghetti noodles), chicken casseroles also come out quite well.

    Good luck! I look forward to your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really excited for this too. I've been meaning to try something like this out, but will find it really useful in a few months when I'm about to have a baby.

    ReplyDelete